As many of you no doubt have heard, the Perseus Project is getting an exciting new overhaul. Eldarion, a web development company in the US headed by a classicist/developer J.K. Tauber, will be releasing Perseus 5.0 on March 15. We’ve covered the Perseus Project in depth before in a four-part post series (links below). In honor of the coming update, we thought we’d revisit the Perseus Project and talk a little more about the project and its various forms.
In this post, we pick up on our discussion of using the Tesserae project for intertextuality. At the start, we want to acknowledge the generosity of Neil Coffee, the project lead. He was very quick to respond to our questions about best practices for the site and shared a forthcoming article on some of his results with silver Latin poetry. Thanks, Neil!
After reading through some of Tesserae’s research, we decided to expand on the topic of using digital tools for linguistic analysis. Tesserae was one of the first projects to attempt this in any language, and it’s an ongoing project — there are plans for further refinements to at least some of the tools, but probably not the interface as a whole.
When we talk about classical authors being “engaged with” each other, what do we mean? Often, that term refers to intertextuality. In this post, I first explain what intertextuality is, and then I explain how you might recognize it, both with and without using digital tools. Continue reading
One of our earliest posts was about the PACE Project, which was (at the time) a local effort to study Greeks under Roman imperialism. When we wrote the post, the project was already available only as a web archive, since the project lead had left for a different institution; soon afterwards, even the archived site went dark. Oh, the pitfalls of digital publication!
Luckily, the site has now reopened at a new home, so we thought it was time to revisit the material available. This week’s post expands on the original by focusing on Josephus, rather than Polybius. Everything in the initial post except for the web address still holds true. The format and contents of the site have not changed; only the host is new. Update your bookmarks and get ready to explore! Continue reading
Since the demise of Beall’s List, it’s become increasingly difficult to recognize a predatory publisher. That does not mean that it’s any less important to recognize who’s legitimate and who’s not. In the original publishing post, I mentioned this topic briefly as part of Tip #2. But based on the unscientific survey of “people who spam my inbox,” the number of predatory publishers is growing, and therefore is worth its own post. In this post, I offer a few tips for avoiding a bad deal, as well as reasons why you should not publish at any cost.
As practicing classicists will know, the field’s major bibliographic database, L’Année Philologique, moved to a new home late last year. That means that our previous posts on the EBSCO and self-hosted versions of APh are a little out of date. In this post, we update the major points about how to use the new APh interface. You should still refer to the previous posts for information about what this database is, its history, and why you should use it. Continue reading